While working in conjunction with residents, family members and team members; organizes, implements, supervises and evaluates the Resident Services programming to meet the psycho-social needs of residents. Works with residents in any or all levels of living: Independent Living, Assisted Living, Memory Support and in the Health Care Center.
REPORTS TO: Assisted Living Manager/Wellness Nurse
· Acts as resident/family advocate for the community
· Acts as the community liaison providing assistance to residents and families during move-ins and transitions between levels of living.
· Assist residents, families and/or team members during times of need (e.g. end of life, general counseling, etc.).
· Assist residents and families with Health and Estate related items as appropriate, such as: Power of Attorney, Guardianship, Advanced Directives, Banking, etc.
· Promotes and protects the rights of each resident;
· Provide guidance and assistance with obtaining and maintaining health and emergency information for residential living residents
· Assist residents and/or families with procurement of medical/assisted devices as needed.
· Develops and facilitates resident group activities, such as support, peer, grief and wellness groups with a therapeutic focus to meet the social and emotional needs of residents;
· Provides guidance and assistance to residents and family members on utilization and obtaining community services.
· Regularly attends resident review meetings to help facilitate any interventions and/or support identified for residents
· Attends in-service training workshops and meetings as required;
· Provides effective and courteous service to all residents, guests and co-workers;
· Provides ancillary or back-up support for the Social Services Director in the Health Center.
· Completes other tasks as assigned.
· Performs related essential duties as required.
· Adheres to HIPAA privacy rules and company policies, procedures and practices which require that resident-identifiable health information will only be used to perform the essential functions of this job;
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
A Bachelors Degree in social work or related program required; a Masters of Social Work Degree desirable with professional certification/registration; at least 3 years of experience working in a senior living setting; or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Standard procedures and techniques used in performing appropriate social work assessments and interventions;
Social work principles and practices with particular reference to nursing home or retirement community operations and administration;
The principles of organization and functions of retirement communities;
Local community resources available to resolve residents' problems;
The principles of organization, planning, and supervision.
Ability to operate automated office machines such as a copier;
Ability to coordinate eyes, hands and fingers in writing; and movements of arms, legs, feet and hands in transporting residents in wheelchairs;
Ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work involving sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or moving from one area to another or standing for brief periods of time;
Ability to exert a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects and greater force in order to push residents in wheelchairs.
Ability to assign, review, plan, and coordinate the work of other employees;
Ability to provide instruction and guidance to staff;
Ability to recommend the discipline or discharge of staff;
Ability to assess the work of employees and write performance appraisals and grade student intern;
Ability to analyze problems that arise in the areas under supervision and recommend solutions.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide.
Judgment and Situational Reasoning Ability:
Ability to apply principles of influence systems such as supervising, instructing, and counseling older adults and their families to assist them in improving their lives
Ability to use independent judgement in fairly non-routine or unstable situations, such as in calming a combative resident and performing assigned responsibilities.
Language Ability and Interpersonal Communication:
Ability to comprehend and correctly use a variety of informational documents including care plan, progress notes, midterm/final exams for student intern, time cards and patient charts;
Ability to comprehend a variety of reference books and manuals including professional books and journals, psychology texts, OBRA guidelines and Title 22;
Ability to prepare progress notes and midterm/final exams using prescribed format and conforming to all rules of punctuation, grammar, diction and style;
Ability to communicate effectively with coworkers, residents and families and to work with a multidisciplinary team of health care facility staff and doctors, supervisor, department heads and administrator in order to meet patients' needs;
Ability to effectively communicate with individuals or groups utilizing a broad base of verbal skills;
Ability to utilize and interpret technical terminology for communication with professionals in geriatric counseling;
Ability to keep abreast of any changes in policy, methods, operations, etc. as they pertain to Home operations and activities.
Ability to work in an office, health care and retirement community environment.
Please email resumes to email@example.com or apply online at HumanGood.org
Life. It’s Personal.
HumanGood was founded in the belief that everyone should have the opportunity to live life with enthusiasm, confidence and security, regardless of physical, social or economic circumstances. Our mission is to ensure that those we serve have every opportunity to become their best selves as they define it. This extends to those who live in our communities, their family and fr...iends, and the team members who serve them.
While the name is new, our mission is not. As American Baptist Homes of the West and be.group before HumanGood, we’ve supported older adults in their well-aging journey for nearly 70 years.